Backgroung

Tuesday 16 August 2011

Crocodiles of the World...

And on to the whole reason for this trip, Crocodiles of the World
Based near Witney, Oxon, Shaun Foggett has created an amazing sanctuary for 11 of the 23 species of Crocodillians and hopes to continue to expand his collection!
I borrowed the following photograph from his website
 

And these are some I took on the day.




This is Daisy, who we have adopted. She's an Americal Alligator who had been dumped outside an aquarium!

Nothing is known of her history but it is believed that she was malnourished which caused a slight deformity on her lower jaw. Shaun hastened to add that she came with the name Daisy, although I quite like it :)


This one is a Siamese Crocodile who was such a character! She swam along the viewing area the whole time we were there and seemed so happy, as you can see by her "smile" below!


These two are Cuban males

Not sure who this one is but he/she was another cheeky croc who sat and watched as we passed.

I was very lucky to be able to handle a year old croc! I think this was one we saw hatch on the Discovery Channel show we saw last week.
I have held them before at Gatorland, Florida, and much larger than this one too.



He also has other reptiles incuding this reticulate python at 13.1ft.
I thoroughly enjoyed my visit and would recommend a visit to this centre, the entry fee is extremely reasonable and you can even arrange personal tours or birthday parties.
My only regret is that I don't live closer as I think I'd have to move in!

Crocodiles of the World is currently featured in a program called Croc Man on Channel 5.
The next episode is being shown on the 17th August at 8pm.


1 comment:

Anita said...

What brilliant photos Linda, you look like you had an awesome time, cannot wait to see the layouts from these..xx